Bunny in the Grass

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Hello there! Are you all decked out in your Sunday best for church, headed out for an Easter Egg Hunt, or getting ready for a family gathering? Maybe all three??? Or, are you still in your jammies, spending the day on the couch, totally taking it easy? However you celebrate Easter, I hope it is a happy day for you and yours!

I've got a couple of Easter/Spring cards to share, in honor of the day and the season...
Isn't that little bunny the cutest? It's a Serendipity die, and I cut it from white cs, then painted the body with gold metallic paint and colored the flowers with Copic markers and a clear Wink of Stella pen. I actually had to color the flowers twice because I couldn't keep up with all the little petals the first time. To make it easier on the second attempt, I die cut the bunny, but before I removed any of the flowers from the die cut, I covered the back of the bunny with removable tape then pushed all the petals out from the front so that they stayed stuck on the tape. After coloring them, I just laid the painted body of the bunny back over the flowers, pressed them in place, and removed the temporary tape, replacing it with permanent tape so the petals wouldn't fall out. The eye was colored with a pink marker, then I used a black Spica pen to draw in the black pupil and coated it with Glossy Accents. The grass was cut from white cs and colored with Copics, also. The background was fun to make, and SO easy. Alcohol inks, glossy paper, a straw, and a little lung power was all it took. I left this card blank inside so I could use it as an any-occasion card.
This card is very similar to the first one, but I added a little more color on the background, and instead of coloring the flowers on the bunny, I filled them with a Pink and a Green Pearl Pen instead. They remind me of the little candy flowers that are on chocolate bunnies sometimes. This bunny took me a very long time to make because I had trouble getting the Pearl Pen to cooperate. It was a little runny and wanted to flatten out. So, I ended up really gooping (is that a real word???) my Pearl Pen on the petals, then, while they were still wet, I added 5 or 6 layers of the bunny's body over them. That way, the petals didn't run all over the place--no smearing! In real life, there are so many layers now, the bunny looks more like a wooden bunny!
This was my DD's Easter card this year, so I added the Easter sentiment to a white panel, then used the negative die cut from the front of the card as a frame for it.

This alcohol ink technique is so easy, I plan to make several more--probably a card set in the near future!

Thanks for stopping by, and have a Happy Easter!

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:
Paper Issues: Pitch Perfect (incorporated a "lawn")

~Hugs,

Supplies Used:

Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

11 comments :

Leslie Miller said...

Wow! Love the bunny both ways and the background is fabulous! I'm spending my Easter outside on a beautiful day. Hope you enjoy yours, as well!

designermc said...

Very cute bunny and project. Such detail. Thanks for joining us this week at 613 Avenue Create.
Nancy, DT

Pat K said...

Adorable bunnies. Thanks for playing along with us at The Paper Shelter this week and good luck. Pat K x

Nancy Penir said...

Have to say, enjoyed your explanation of the process of these cards. Loved the look in the lineup and had to take a peek. The awesome bg is a happy wonder. and your sweet bunny stands out against his wonderful world!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

So cool! That background is just fabulous!

Conniecrafter said...

They are both so cute, the second bunny really looks like it has quite the dimension!, Like the tall grass and fun backgrounds, reminds me of growing up in the late 60's early 70's :)

Cards By MI said...

A great lovely card. Love the back ground. Thanks for joining us over at the Paper Shelter this week.
Love n hugs
Marie

Lin said...

Such a great background, Cheryl, as is that cute bunny! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Rosie said...

Absolutely stunning card and love the technique you used for the background! I've got to give that a try!! Thank you for playing along in our challenge at The Paper Shelter! Hugs, Rosie

Deborah Anton said...

This is so neat!! I love the splat of colors!! :) technical term of course... The brightness and cheeriness of this card is perfect for Easter!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fantastic card. Love the textured bunny and the colorful background. Thank you for playing along with us at Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge.